incubator-general mailing list archives

From "lidong"<lid...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept CarbonData into the Apache Incubator
Date Mon, 30 May 2016 13:34:48 GMT
+1 (non-binding)

Thanks,
Dong
---
Apache Kylin - http://kylin.apache.org
Kyligence Inc. - http://kyligence.io

Original Message
Sender:Jean-Baptiste Onofréjb@nanthrax.net
Recipient:generalgeneral@incubator.apache.org
Date:Monday, May 30, 2016 14:07
Subject:Re: [VOTE] Accept CarbonData into the Apache Incubator

My own +1 (binding) ;) Regards JB On 05/25/2016 10:24 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:  Hi
all,   following the discussion thread, I'm now calling a vote to accept  CarbonData into
the Incubator.   ​[ ] +1 Accept CarbonData into the Apache Incubator  [ ] +0 Abstain  [
] -1 Do not accept CarbonData into the Apache Incubator, because ...   This vote is open for
72 hours.   The proposal follows, you can also access the wiki page:  https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CarbonDataProposal
  Thanks !  Regards  JB   = Apache CarbonData =   == Abstract ==   Apache CarbonData is a
new Apache Hadoop native file format for faster  interactive  query using advanced columnar
storage, index, compression and encoding  techniques  to improve computing efficiency, in
turn it will help speedup queries an  order of  magnitude faster over PetaBytes of data.
 CarbonData github address: https://github.com/HuaweiBigData/carbondata   == Background ==
  Huawei is an ICT solution provider, we are committed to enhancing  customer experiences
for telecom carriers, enterprises, and consumers on  big data, In order to satisfy the following
customer requirements, we  created a new Hadoop native file format:   * Support interactive
OLAP-style query over big data in seconds.  * Support fast query on individual record which
require touching all  fields.  * Fast data loading speed and support incremental load in period
of  minutes.  * Support HDFS so that customer can leverage existing Hadoop cluster.  * Support
time based data retention.   Based on these requirements, we investigated existing file formats
in  the Hadoop eco-system, but we could not find a suitable solution that  satisfying requirements
all at the same time, so we start designing  CarbonData.   == Rationale ==   CarbonData contains
multiple modules, which are classified into two  categories:   1. CarbonData File Format:
which contains core implementation for file  format such as columnar,index,dictionary,encoding+compression,API
for  reading/writing etc.  2. CarbonData integration with big data processing framework such
as  Apache Spark, Apache Hive etc. Apache Beam is also planned to abstract  the execution
runtime.   === CarbonData File Format ===   CarbonData file format is a columnar store in
HDFS, it has many features  that a modern columnar format has, such as splittable, compression
 schema ,complex data type etc. And CarbonData has following unique  features:   ==== Indexing
====   In order to support fast interactive query, CarbonData leverage indexing  technology
to reduce I/O scans. CarbonData files stores data along with  index, the index is not stored
separately but the CarbonData file itself  contains the index. In current implementation,
CarbonData supports 3  types of indexing:   1. Multi-dimensional Key (B+ Tree index)  The
Data block are written in sequence to the disk and within each  data blocks each column block
is written in sequence. Finally, the  metadata block for the file is written with information
about byte  positions of each block in the file, Min-Max statistics index and the  start and
end MDK of each data block. Since, the entire data in the file  is in sorted order, the start
and end MDK of each data block can be used  to construct a B+Tree and the file can be logically
represented as a  B+Tree with the data blocks as leaf nodes (on disk) and the remaining  non-leaf
nodes in memory.  2. Inverted index  Inverted index is widely used in search engine. By using
this index,  it helps processing/query engine to do filtering inside one HDFS block.  Furthermore,
query acceleration for count distinct like operation is  made possible when combining bitmap
and inverted index in query time.  3. MinMax index  For all columns, minmax index is created
so that processing/query  engine can skip scan that is not required.   ==== Global Dictionary
====   Besides I/O reduction, CarbonData accelerates computation by using  global dictionary,
which enables processing/query engines to perform all  processing on encoded data without
having to convert the data (Late  Materialization). We have observed dramatic performance
improvement for  OLAP analytic scenario where table contains many columns in string data
type. The data is converted back to the user readable form just before  processing/query engine
returning results to user.   ==== Column Group ====   Sometimes users want to perform processing/query
on multi-columns in one  table, for example, performing scan for individual record in  troubleshooting
scenario. In this case, row format is more efficient  than columnar format since all columns
will be touched by the workload.  To accelerate this, CarbonData supports storing a group
of column in row  format, so data in column group is stored together and enable fast  retrieval.
  ==== Optimized for multiple use cases ====   CarbonData indices and dictionary is highly
configurable. To make  storage optimized for different use cases, user can configure what
to  index, so user can decide and tune the format before loading data into  CarbonData.
For example   || Use Case || Supporting Features ||  || Interactive OLAP query || Columnar
format, Multi-dimensional Key (B+  Tree index), Minmax index, Inverted index ||  || High throughput
scan || Global dictionary, Minmax index ||  || Low latency point query || Multi-dimensional
Key (B+ Tree index),  Partitioning ||  || Individual record query || Column group, Global
dictionary ||   === BigData Processing Framework Integration ===   * CarbonData provides InputFormat/OutputFormat
interfaces for  Reading/Writing data from the CarbonData files and at the same time  provides
abstract API for processing data stored as Carbondata format  with data processing framework.
 * CarbonData provides deep integration with Apache Spark including  predicate push down,
column pruning, aggregation push down etc. So users  can use Spark SQL to connect and query
from CarbonData.  * CarbonData can integrate with various big data Query/Processing  framework
on Hadoop eco-system such as Apache Spark,Apache Hive etc.   Example:  https://github.com/HuaweiBigData/carbondata/blob/master/examples/src/main/scala/org/carbondata/examples/CarbonExample.scala
   == Initial Goals ==   Our initial goals are to bring CarbonData into the ASF, transition
 internal engineering processes into the open, and foster a collaborative  development model
according to the "Apache Way".   == Current Status ==   CarbonData is production ready and
already provide a large set of features.  The current license is already Apache 2.0.   ==
Meritocracy ==   We intend to radically expand the initial developer and user community  by
running the project in accordance with the "Apache Way". Users and  new contributors will
be treated with respect and welcomed. By  participating in the community and providing quality
patches/support  that move the project forward, they will earn merit. They also will be  encouraged
to provide non-code contributions (documentation, events,  community management, etc.) and
will gain merit for doing so. Those with  a proven support and quality track record will be
encouraged to become  committers.   == Community ==   If CarbonData is accepted for incubation,
the primary initial goal is to  build a large community. We really trust that CarbonData will
become a  key project for big data column-like platforms, and so, we bet on a  large community
of users and developers.   == Known Risks ==   Development has been sponsored mostly by a
one company.For the project  to fully transition to the Apache Way governance model, development
must  shift towards the meritocracy-centric model of growing a community of  contributors
balanced with the needs for extreme stability and core  implementation coherency.   == Orphaned
products ==   Huawei is fully committed CarbonData. Moreover, Huawei has a vested  interest
in making CarbonData succeed by driving its close integration  with sister ASF projects. We
expect this to further reduces the risk of  orphaning the product.   == Inexperience with
Open Source ==   Huawei has been developing and using open source software since a long  time.
Additionally, several ASF veterans agreed to mentor the project  and are listed in this proposal.
The project will rely on their guidance  and collective wisdom to quickly transition the entire
team of initial  committers towards practicing the Apache Way.   == Reliance on Salaried Developers
==   Most of the contributors are paid to work in big data space. While they  might wander
from their current employers, they are unlikely to venture  far from their core expertises
and thus will continue to be engaged with  the project regardless of their current employers.
  == An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ==   While we intend to leverage the Apache
‘branding’ when talking to other  projects as testament of our project’s ‘neutrality’,
we have no plans  for making use of Apache brand in press releases nor posting billboards
 advertising acceptance of CarbonData into Apache Incubator.   == Initial Source ==   https://github.com/HuaweiBigData/carbondata.git
  == External Dependencies ==   All external dependencies are licensed under an Apache 2.0
license or  Apache-compatible license. As we grow the Carbondata community we will  configure
our build process to require and validate all contributions  and dependencies are licensed
under the Apache 2.0 license or are under  an Apache-compatible license.   * Apache Spark
 * Apache Hadoop  * Apache Maven  * Apache Commons  * Apache Log4j  * Apache Thrift  * Apache
Zookeeper  * Scala  * Snappy  * Kettle (Pentaho)  * Eigenbase  * Fastutil  * GSON  * Jmockit
 * Junit   == Required Resources ==   === Mailing lists ===   * private@carbondata.incubator.apache.org
 * issues@carbondata.incubator.apache.org   === Git Repository ===   * https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-carbondata.git
  === Issue Tracking ===   * JIRA Project CarbonData (CarbonData)   === Initial Committers
===   * Liang Chenliang  * Jean-Baptiste Onofré  * Henry Saputra  * Uma Maheswara Rao G
* Jenny MA  * Jacky Likun  * Vimal Das Kammath  * Jarray Qiuheng   === Affiliations ===
* Huawei: Liang Chenliang  * Talend: Jean-Baptiste Onofré  * Ebay: Henry Saputra  * Intel:
Uma Maheswara Rao G   === Sponsors ===   === Champion ===   * Jean-Baptiste Onofré - Apache
Member   === Mentors ===   * Henry Saputra (eBay)  * Jean-Baptiste Onofré (Talend)  * Uma
Maheswara Rao G (Intel)   === Sponsoring Entity ===   The Apache Incubator   ---------------------------------------------------------------------
e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org  -- Jean-Baptiste Onofré jbonofre@apache.org http://blog.nanthrax.net