incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Fineract 0.1.2 (incubating)
Date Sat, 21 May 2016 22:55:59 GMT
Hi,

> Sadly we still have an unwanted dependency bundled and we are using it in the code.
> That's why we still have the GPL reference in the LICENSE file.

I can’t see that you have any GPL code bundled in the source release, you may depend on
something that’s GPL license but that's another issue.

Even that may be OK if it’s an optional dependancy, i.e. it only used to run tests and/or
most users of the software wouldn’t download it then that’s OK. [1]

> We were under the impression that we can 'release' incubation releases with some
> issues and clean them out during the polling.

That is correct but bundling/depending on GPL licensed software is a bit more serious. One
option is to ask on legal@dicuss and get permission to make a one off release with a GPL dependancy.

> [1] Given we use some Hibernate annotations we thought it is best to bundle the license
> as long as we did not fixed that.

You only need to put things in license if the code is bundled, I’m not sure that annotating
code would require a mention in license.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional