incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Apache Annotator
Date Tue, 31 May 2016 20:41:15 GMT
Yeah. A bit of both, actually. ;)

JSON-LD is the new bridge builder / peace-maker in this space.

There's an RDF-based data model "underneath" but the expression of it can be treated as "plain
JSON" for those who don't do RDF.

For instance, I have the beginnings of the Web Annotation Protocol built on Apache CouchDB:
https://github.com/BigBlueHat/ldp-on-couchdb

The Web Annotation Protocol is based on LDP BasicContainers--which really just (re)defined
GET, POST, PUT, and DELETE + Link headers for finding your way around:
https://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-protocol/

Anyhow, it's getting uptake from folks who have little to no interest in RDF or graphs as
well as folks who depend heavily on RDF and graphs--which is about the best scenario we can
hope for these days. :)

Thanks for the thoughts, Nick!
Benjamin

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Kew [mailto:niq@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 4:36 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Annotator

On Tue, 2016-05-31 at 18:13 +0000, Benjamin Young wrote:
> Yeah. Lots has happened in the intervening 14 years. :)

:)

Thanks for the reply.  I kind-of thought it might've done, but (having followed your first
link and found only javascript that had nothing to say on the subject) I was looking for ...
well, I guess your reply and the links in it.

Lots more reading to do, but I see it's moved from RDF and pie-in-the-sky to JSON and some
more realistic expectations.

--
Nick Kew