incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Apache Annotator
Date Tue, 31 May 2016 18:13:23 GMT
Yeah. Lots has happened in the intervening 14 years. :)

The new thing is called the Web Annotation Data Model [1] and it's born out of work by the
Web Annotation Working Group [2] which in turn built on the work created in the Open Annotation
Community Group [3].

Annotea was used merely as a historical point--not the technical foundation of anything (afaik).
You're welcome to dig through the Open Annotation CG mail archives for what their view of
that was, but it doesn't directly effect this potential Apache project, nor its code--which
will be focused in part on Web Annotation Data Model support and tooling...which I hope you'll
find is more sane with 14 more years of "school of hard knocks" education at its back. :)

Cheers!
Benjamin

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/
[2] https://www.w3.org/community/openannotation/
[3] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-openannotation/

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Kew [mailto:niq@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 12:04 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Annotator

On Tue, 2016-05-31 at 13:46 +0000, Benjamin Young wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been working with the AnnotatorJS.org community to move our community to the ASF.
We have in the past been a BDFL-led group, but that has proved unsustainable and resulted
in many forks and lost opportunity.

I see there's a link to W3C annotations.  Is that the basis for it?
How far has that come since it was a textbook example of how not to use RDF (e.g.
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Jul/0232.html ).

I guess the real question is, is the system still based on confusing URIs used as invariants
in RDF with URLs you dereference on the Web, as W3 annotea was?

--
Nick Kew