incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ECCN cryptography reporting?
Date Thu, 12 May 2016 12:20:26 GMT
Ted & John,

Should Taverna wait until the ECCN registration has been filed (or
not) before we prepare our next release candidate for voting?

On 9 May 2016 at 17:54, Stian Soiland-Reyes <stain@apache.org> wrote:
> We documented it in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAVERNA-959
> and on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TAVERNADEV/Taverna+Cryptography+review
>
> See also https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-250?focusedCommentId=15272500&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15272500
>

>> Taverna Language (while primarily an API for designing workflows) includes a component
which functionality is data storage in a ZIP file - the encryption functionality of HTTP Components
is however not used, and so Language should not be registered. (unless we make a binary distribution
that includes HTTP Components)

>> Taverna OSGi's Download API module is "Sending, receiving or storing information"
and so should be registered because it is using HTTP Components and can do https.

>> Taverna Engine's Credential Manager module is doing "information security" and should
be registered.

>> Taverna Common Activities are "Sending, receiving or storing information" (talking
to web services) and should be registered.

>> Taverna Command Line is primarily running a workflow, and should NOT be registered
(unless you consider a workflow to be primarily sending/receiving information) - however if
we make a binary distribution it would include Bouncy Castle, Derby, HTTPComponents as JARs,
and at that point needs to be registered.