incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: In-flight release in Incubator
Date Fri, 06 May 2016 16:45:13 GMT
If you need a release before being ready for an Apache release, an
old-style non-Apache release is a fine thing to do.

Also, keep in mind that the purpose of first Apache release is to iron out
process and IP issues. It should not necessarily intended as a full quality
release. So while an external release may be necessary for product and
quality reasons trumping Apache process, you should also push forward with
an Apache release with less than normal regard for product and quality.
That will mean that you will be ready when the project is ready to put out
a qualified release to also make it be an Apache release (incubating).

The fact that quality/bugs/features and Apache IP checking are essentially
orthogonal issues is often not obvious to incoming projects.