incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Sterling Hughes" <sterl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 0.9.0-incubating-rc1
Date Sat, 28 May 2016 01:37:02 GMT
Hey John,

I think the VOTE should be recalled based upon looking at newt.  I’ll
admit — all my testing was on the git tags for the release, and not
the tarballs themselves. As a FYI, what happened is that only the newt
directory got released in newt tarball instead of the TLD:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mynewt-newt/.

On 27 May 2016, at 18:18, John D. Ament wrote:

> I'm still interested in figuring out how to build this thing, however
> feel that I need to vote -1 on the release on the following grounds:
>
> - You're trying to release "Apache Mynewt" but not a single one of
> these
> packages says "Mynewt" on them.  Even the generated binary says "newt"
> and
> not Mynewt.
> - I would rename the generated artifacts "blinky", "core", "newt" to
> include "mynewt" as a prefix in there somewhere, e.g.
> "apache-mynewt-core"
> and "apache-mynewt-blinky"
>
> - Even then, the package "apache-newt" lacks a NOTICE/LICENSE file.

It looks like there was a mistake in the newt that was released.
We’re an operating system and a build & package system.

For reference, these tarballs are not how most people consume a release,
it’s rather through the newt tool itself.

http://mynewt.apache.org/os/get_started/get_started/

Has a reference on getting started.  specifically, you create a new
project (which is a clone of blinky), and then you install that
project’s dependencies, which is newt install — and that points to
apache-mynewt-core repository, and a specific version.

> I suspect that your notice and license files are out of sync btw.
> Your
> license includes references to code that doesn't match your notice.

There hasn’t been anything that changed between releases really there.
  We’ve always had pointers to 3rd party licenses in licenses, and
left the notice file fairly blank.  If we need to move the attributions
in the license file to the notice file, we’re fine doing so.

Sterling