incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Gossip incubator proposal
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2016 01:35:22 GMT
On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 5:59 PM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
> In the Quickstep proposal, Roman explicitly listed himself as both Champion and Mentor.
> I think that is a good model to follow. If someone lists themselves only as Champion
would
> I assume that their responsibilities end shortly after incubation starts.

And to complete the example: when I was helping Concerted I was explicitly
saying that I will only get them to Incubation, but I didn't have time to make
a full mentorship commitment. Hence in Concerted's case I was only listed
as a Champion.

> To use the “it takes a village” metaphor, I think that incubator projects really
> need one or two committed parents rather than lots and lots of part-time
> aunts and uncles.

Couldn't agree more! My personal rule of thumb for 3 mentors comes from
a simple philosophy that if all else fails (which luckily doesn't happen in
the Incubator as often as it used to) you can at least count on your committed
mentors in any case where 3 binding IPMC votes are required.

Thanks,
Roman.