incubator-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Hosting links to pre-Apache releases
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:58:35 GMT
Frank McQuillan wrote on 3/14/16 6:49 PM:
> Good day,
>
> We have moved the Apache MADlib (incubating) web site to ASF infra at
> http://madlib.incubator.apache.org/
>
> However there is remaining a download page for pre-ASF releases on the old
> infra at
> http://madlib.net/download/
>
> Is it OK and appropriate to move the http://madlib.net/download/ download
> page to http://madlib.incubator.apache.org/ as well, as long as we clearly
> indicate that the artifacts are pre-ASF?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Frank

Sounds appropriate to me.  Ensure people know they're not ASF releases,
but are from the earlier organization (i.e. whoever is donating the
project), and be crystal clear if the license is different than the
Apache license.

Note we probably don't want to host the actual downloads themselves;
just point to the existing old download page.  Including links to
previous releases can be important and useful information for users who
might want to see history or get old code.

Also, for perspective as to some other ways that it's OK to link to
other corporate pages, see these best practices:

  http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/linking

- Shane