incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24 (incubating)
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2016 01:07:56 GMT
Hi,

> There's been a long tradition in the Incubator of "carrying over" IPMC
> votes from the podling dev list. And let's consider why -- is there
> really a benefit to having IPMC members cast votes twice

Yes it’s then clear on the this list how many +1 votes there currently is before the results
are announced. I for instance may not look at a vote until someone more familiar with the
project has voted on it. If 3 or more +1 are “hidden" on the dev list then a vote may pass
without any IPMC member outside ether project giving it the once over.As have been shown many
times there’s sometime things that IPMC people outside the project may pick up that the
project has missed. And what about non +1 other votes, for instance do -1 or +0 carry over
as well?

>  Would we ever want to block a release that had 2 IPMC votes on
> general@incubator and 1 cast only on the podling dev list?

Has this happened? It could be easily solved if it did come up i.e. by voting on the IPMC
list.

> I think it makes sense for the Release Manager list the IPMC votes
> being carried over,

Perhaps in the initial IPMC vote and not just only in the results would be better?

Thanks,
Justin