incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24 (incubating)
Date Sat, 26 Mar 2016 14:26:18 GMT
Friday, March 25, 2016, 10:54:22 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> -1 (binding) due to category B license in source.

I believe they are under the Apache License, Version 2.0, and so
aren't category B, but see later.

> As these file are
> mention in NOTICE there’s probably a reason for this but it’s unclear to me.
>
> I checked:
> - incubating in name
> - signatures good but form a non apache email

(Yes, I will create another signature sooner or later. The current
signature is used for releases for several years now.)

> - LICENSE is good
> - NOTICE has unneeded information in it
> - DISCLAIMER exists
> - No unexpected binary files, but no sure why 2 files are mentioned
> in NOTICE. IF these field are covered by an Apache license there
> should  be no need to put them in NOTICE.

You mean src/main/misc/overloadedNumberRules/prices.ods and
src/manual/en_US/docgen-originals/figures/overview.odg? As they don't
have copyright headers (because they are binaries), I thought I have
to indicate their license somewhere.

> - Can compile from source
>
> Can you provide some details on these files. This files have Apache
> headers on them but as far as I can tell the originals are CDDL/GPU
> which is category B and not allowed to be included in a source release.
>     src/main/resources/freemarker/ext/jsp/web-app_2_2.dtd
>     src/main/resources/freemarker/ext/jsp/web-app_2_3.dtd
>     src/main/resources/freemarker/ext/jsp/web-jsptaglibrary_1_1.dtd
>     src/main/resources/freemarker/ext/jsp/web-jsptaglibrary_1_2.dtd
>
> For original license see [1][2][3]. I’m not sure how the first file is licensed.

Many years ago these originally Sun Microsystems licensed files
started to appear in Apache Tomcat with Apache license. That's where
they came from. You can find them in Apache Tomcat 7 binary
distribution (among others), inside lib/servlet-api.jar and
lib/jsp-api.jar. They are exactly the same as those included in
FreeMarker (ignoring possible line ending CRLF versus LF differences).

> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> 1. http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd
> 2. http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-jsptaglibrary_1_1.dtd