incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Guacamole into the Apache incubator
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2016 12:31:56 GMT
+1 (binding)
> On Feb 2, 2016, at 10:05 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The Guacamole proposal was discussed couple of weeks ago.
>
> The complete discussion thread is available here:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201601.mbox/%3C56A5C8C3.7070701@guac-dev.org%3E
>
> As reminder the GuacamoleProposal is here:
>
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GuacamoleProposal
>
> As we received only positive feedbacks in the discussion thread, we think it's time to
call for a vote to accept Guacamole into the Incubator.

> Please cast your vote to:
> [] +1 - accept Apache Guacamole as a new incubating project
> []  0 - not sure
> [] -1 - do not accept the Apache Guacamole project (because: ...)
>
> Thanks,
> Regards
> JB
>
> ----
> = GuacamoleProposal =
>
> == Abstract ==
>
> Guacamole is an enterprise-grade, protocol-agnostic, remote desktop gateway. Combined
with cloud hosting, Guacamole provides an excellent alternative to traditional desktops. Guacamole
aims to make cloud-hosted desktop access preferable to traditional, local access.

> == Background ==
>
> Guacamole began in 2010 as a personal project - a means for Mike Jumper to access to
his own computer from work. Mike’s job at that time had a firewall which blocked outbound
access to everything except HTTP and HTTPS, and directly circumventing the firewall (by changing
the SSH server port, for example) was a fireable offense. Mike needed a solution which provided
remote access and yet was a true web application. He found several projects providing text-based
terminal access, but decided that he wanted to make something new and different.

> The project began as a simple VNC client but grew rapidly in capability and performance
until it became an enterprise-grade, protocol-agnostic, remote desktop gateway supporting
both VNC and RDP. Support for SSH was added later, followed by audio, file transfer, etc.
By this point, Guacamole was fast and stable enough to be used daily and in place of a traditional
desktop.

> Having used and developed Guacamole to its current state, and having observed the general
shift of the industry toward cloud computing and related technologies, we now see Guacamole
as the primary and only viable open source solution for a future of cloud-hosted desktops.

> Guacamole's purpose is twofold:
>
> * To provide seamless and performant access to desktops over the web.
> * To provide an API which allows others, including commercial entities, to integrate
Guacamole's core into their own applications.

> We believe that the lifestyle enabled by Guacamole should be preferable to traditional,
physically-anchored desktops, that the software enabling this should be 100% free in every
sense of the word, and that users should not be limited by their current location, by the
software installed on whatever computer they are using at the moment, nor by how powerful/weak
the hardware of that computer happens to be.

> Guacamole is stable and production-ready. It is in active production use by several companies,
including ESI, Glyptodon, HP, Nanocloud Software, as well as individuals.

> == Rationale ==
>
> Due to the utility and popularity of cloud platforms, a logical extension to traditional
application hosting is to host complete desktops. The Guacamole project is aimed at achieving
this, and we believe that the best way to fulfill the true potential of this project is to
bring its development within Apache and, by so doing, foster a larger community and higher
visibility. The resulting continuous improvements to its design and implementation will make
Guacamole the best tool for the job for a wide variety of use cases.

> == Initial Goals ==
>
> Our initial goals are to bring Guacamole into the ASF, transition internal engineering
processes into the open, and foster a collaborative development model according to the "Apache
Way."

> == Current Status ==
>
> Guacamole is production-ready and already provides a large set of features. It is currently
licensed under the MIT license, but will be relicensed under the Apache license if accepted
for incubation.

> The source repositories are:
>
> * https://github.com/glyptodon/guacamole-server
> * https://github.com/glyptodon/guacamole-client
>
> == Meritocracy ==
>
> We intend to radically expand the initial developer and user community by running the
project in accordance with the "Apache Way". Users and new contributors will be treated with
respect and welcomed. By participating in the community and providing quality patches/support
that move the project forward, they will earn merit. The community will also be encouraged
to provide non-code contributions (documentation, events, community management, etc.) and
will gain merit for doing so. Those with a proven support and quality track record will be
encouraged to become committers.

> == Community ==
>
> If Guacamole is accepted for incubation, its primary initial goal will be to build a
large community of users and developers. We trust that Guacamole will become a key project
for cloud platforms, and thus expect its community to grow as word of the project continues
to spread.

> == Known Risks ==
>
> Development has been sponsored mostly by one company. For the project to fully transition
to the Apache Way governance model, development must shift towards the meritocracy-centric
model of growing a balanced community of contributors.

> == Orphaned products ==
>
> Glyptodon, Nanocloud Software, and other companies are fully committed to Guacamole and
have a vested interest in making Guacamole succeed by driving its close integration with sister
ASF projects. Commercial reliance on Guacamole by third-party companies, as well as widespread
public interest in cloud-based access as a whole, reduces the risk of the product being orphaned.

> == Inexperience with Open Source ==
>
> Glyptodon has been developing and using open source software since its inception in 2013.
Additionally, several ASF veterans agreed to mentor the project and are listed in this proposal.
The Guacamole project will rely on their guidance and collective wisdom to quickly transition
the entire team of initial committers towards practicing the Apache Way.

> == Reliance on Salaried Developers ==
>
> Most of the contributors are paid to work in cloud space. While they might wander from
their current employers, they are unlikely to venture far from their core expertises and thus
will continue to be engaged with the project regardless of their current employers.

> == An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ==
>
> Our primary interest in bringing Guacamole to Apache is to foster growth within the project
and its community of developers and users. We have no plans to make use of the Apache brand
in press releases, nor to advertise acceptance of Guacamole into Apache Incubator.