incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Wang, Gang1" <gang1.w...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Mnemonic incubator proposal
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2016 04:48:33 GMT
Hi Liang

   please find my response inline below

Best Regards
Gary (Wang, Gang), PMP(r), CMMI(r) Appraiser, ITIL(r) Foundation
NRDC: Donate (Natural Resources Defense Council)

-----Original Message-----
From: Gangumalla, Uma [mailto:uma.gangumalla@intel.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 8:06 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Mnemonic incubator proposal

Hi Liang,

Thank you for your interest. Sure we would consider you adding in interested contributors
list.

>Mnemonic is trying to solve performance issues associated
with serialization/deserialization of java object when dealing with JVM & disk directly
as well as GC pressure caused by caching ?

Yes.

>whether Mnemonic could solve Hadoop Namenode pressure of large
scale of cluster scenaros, or not?
Yeah, we are thinking on some aspects considering memory and GC overheads in Namenode too.
Example couple of JIRAs already there in HDFS to move some of data structure to off heap.
So, we had plans to get the standard data structures from this library and can make use of
them push.
Also we could make advantage if persistence here.

@Yanping/Gary, may be you could add more points if you have?

[Gary] Thanks Uma, in addition, you can plug-in your special allocators that could be optimized
for namenode usage patterns, by this way, the performance could be better and more predictable.
Thanks.

Regards,
Uma