incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Unomi 1.0.0-incubating (take 4)
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:56:32 GMT
Hi,

> Normally we should only have dual licensed GPL/CDDL unless I have missed something.

Note that most of the GPL/CDDL dual licensed files have this:
If you wish your version of this file to be governed by only the CDDL or
    only the GPL Version 2, indicate your decision by adding "[Contributor]
    elects to include this software in this distribution under the [CDDL or GPL
    Version 2] license."  If you don't indicate a single choice of license, a
    recipient has the option to distribute your version of this file under
    either the CDDL, the GPL Version 2 or to extend the choice of license to
    its licensees as provided above.

So putting the text of the GPL license in LICENSE may not be a good idea.

The one that concerns me (but there may be others) is this [1] which is found in [2]. You
may want to talk to Karaf about it. Karaf’s notice file does contain a reference to it and
says it’s Apache licensed [3] but it license file has it under another permissive license
[4] It may be that at some point the license terms fro the software have changed but I don’t
know what version is included in that jar. It looks like the pom.xml doesn’t specify a version?
[5]

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com/doc/english/licenseOverview.html
2. ./unomi-1.0.0-incubating/system/org/apache/karaf/wrapper/org.apache.karaf.wrapper.core/3.0.2/org.apache.karaf.wrapper.core-3.0.2.jar
3. https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/NOTICE
4. https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/LICENSE
5. http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/karaf/wrapper/org.apache.karaf.wrapper.core/3.0.2/org.apache.karaf.wrapper.core-3.0.2.pom