incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Geode (incubating) 1.0.0-incubating.M1
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2016 22:04:04 GMT
Hi,

> NOTICE contains copyright, commons-io [2]

It’s my understanding that for an ASF produced product with the name, copyright and “this
software produced at the ASF” that nothing needs to be added to notice.

> NOTICE contains copyright and a few other declarations, log4j2 [3]

Drop the Apache one and add the rest. I don’t know the history but it looks like these are
from copyright statements that have been relocated from the original source headers. Note
[1] has standard ASF header and these instructions [2].

> NOTICE contains LOTS of stuff, lucene [4]

Which looks wrong to me as it contains un-required Apache, MIT and BSD software. It looks
like most (if not all) of that should be in LICENSE not NOTICE. Given lucene has been about
for a long time there are probably historical reasons for this. The policy of what goes in
notice / license has changed over time.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/master/log4j-core/src/main/java/org/apache/logging/log4j/core/config/plugins/util/ResolverUtil.java