incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Confusion over NOTICE vs LICENSE files
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2016 03:35:18 GMT
Hi,

> There are no active products using Apache-1.1 -- though old releases are still
> available -- so this question is mostly academic.

May be the case for some binary releases using old software. I can think of one project that
may need to check that.

>  But it's very interesting historically!

Thanks for that now it’s clear what goes in NOTICE if it does ever show up.

> The BSD-4-clause license with the advertising clause is not approved for use
> by ASF projects.  It's not even OSI approved, and it's vanishingly rare these
> days, anyway.

Last week I run into an incubating project that had several BSD-4 clause licenses. It (IMO)
was not an issue as it turns out the clause had been rescinded (in 1999!) in this particular
case. [1][2] But I assume any BSD-4-cluase not covered by that would not be allowed to be
bundled.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause <https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause>
2. ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change <ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change>