incubator-general mailing list archives

From Anthony Baker <aba...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Geode (incubating) 1.0.0-incubating.M1
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2016 16:56:08 GMT
Justin,

Thanks for the great feedback!

Regarding the NOTICE in the binary distribution:  the contents came directly from NOTICE files
contained in bundled dependencies included in the distribution.  I’m sure I don’t completely
understand the requirements yet [1] so thanks for any clarification you can provide.  I’ve
included links below to a few representative cases.

NOTICE contains copyright, commons-io [2]
NOTICE contains copyright and a few other declarations, log4j2 [3]
NOTICE contains LOTS of stuff, lucene [4]

Would it help to clearly delineate boundaries within the NOTICE file?  For example:

// ------------------------------------------------------------------
// NOTICE file corresponding to the section 4d of The Apache License,
// Version 2.0, in this case for Lucene
// ------------------------------------------------------------------

Anthony

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201601.mbox/%3cCADY20s5nLc9zLKoNYf_8W8vf+Q6ri=-uTAnUaXZgorbYsXwH3g@mail.gmail.com%3e
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/io/trunk/NOTICE.txt
[3] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=logging-log4j2.git;a=blob;f=NOTICE.txt;h=0f7d00604ec9722a7f1e394c49b94caead89a0d1;hb=HEAD
[4] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=lucene-solr.git;a=blob;f=lucene/NOTICE.txt;h=ecf08201a5ee634b9d149f18c6d2d2a9ed3334b0;hb=HEAD

> On Feb 2, 2016, at 10:15 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> From a very quick look at the binary release the LICENSE / NOTICE needs some work.
>
> The NOTICE contains a lot of what should go in LICENSE. Normally there is no need to
list  MIT, BSD [1] or Apache [2] license software in NOTICE.