incubator-general mailing list archives

From Anthony Baker <aba...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Geode (incubating) 1.0.0-incubating.M1
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2016 19:30:24 GMT
Hi Justin,

As I mentioned in my other response, thanks for the great feedback and quick turnaround!
I filed JIRA’s based on the issues you noted below.

Anthony

> On Feb 2, 2016, at 10:06 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> +0.5 for the license issues and unable to compile. Willing to change to +1 if these are
sorted in the next release/explained.

> I checked:
> - file name contain incubating
> - signatures and hashes good
> - DISCLAIMER exists
> - NOTICE looks OK
> - LICENSE is missing a few items (see below). Everything listed in bundled.
> - All source files have Apache headers (that need it)
> - No unexpected binary in the source release
> - I think COMPILING.txt needs some updating and current gradle fails with an error (see
below)

> License is missing:
> - ANSIBuffer (BSD) [1]
> - font awesome (front are SIL and css is MIT) [2]
> - normalise.css (MIT) [3]
> - bootstrap (MIT) [3]
> - boot flat (MIT) [4]
> - headjs (MIT) [5]
> - iCheck (MIT) [6]
> - html5shiv (MIT) [7]
> - respond (MIT) [8]
> - polyfill (MIT/BSD) [8]
> - InternalDataSerializer.java [9] contains code from BSD license protobuf that should
be in license

[GEODE-904] Yes, these dependencies need to be called out.

> Compile fails with:
> Could not GET 'https://plugins.gradle.org/m2/com/github/zafarkhaja/java-semver/0.9.0/java-semver-0.9.0.pom'.
Received status code 502 from server: Bad Gateway

That’s odd.  When gradle resolves the plugin for me it’s downloading from https://plugins.gradle.org/m2/com/github/zafarkhaja/java-semver/0.9.0/java-semver-0.9.0.jar
(this is a transitive dependency of the grgit plugin).  We’ll look into this to understand
why it’s not resolving propertly.

> It is unclear how [10] was original licensed has an apache header been put on this file
by mistake? It contains:
> //  Created by Eric Zoerner on 2/13/08.
> //  Copyright 2008 __MyCompanyName__. All rights reserved.

[GEODE-901] This file should have an Apache header.  The original copyright information looks
like an auto generated template that should have been removed when Pivotal donated the code
to ASF.

> Do you have permission to use this file [11] which contains ("All Rights Reserved" generally
implies no).
> Copyright (C) GemStone Systems, Inc. 2000-2004. All Rights Reserved.

[GEODE-901] Same as above, this comment should be removed.  The source code history is GemStone
-> VMWare -> Pivotal -> ASF :-)

> This file [12] incorrectly has an Apache header and is licensed under an MX4J license
[13]. While is permissive, it’s not "Apache like" as claimed. The is not list as a category
A license [14] so you probably need to raise a legal JIRA to get it added. It looks to me
like it requires attribution and would need to be listed in LICENSE.

[GEODE-902] Agreed, we will investigate this.

> Many java files under [15] contain double headers is this correct?

[GEODE-905] Agreed, we need to preserve the original header and determine if we have to add
anything to the source LICENSE or NOTICE.

> Also this file [16] has a double header but this file [17] only has one header with the
same (non Apache) copyright owner and an non standard Apache header. This may need to be mentioned
in NOTICE? [18]

[GEODE-906] We will cleanup this up.

> BTW the footer [19] conatins the wrong copyright year.

[GEODE-903] Yep.

> Several items in LICENSE refer to the generic BSD/MIT license, wouldn’t it be more
useful to point to the actual software license in question?