incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Confusion over NOTICE vs LICENSE files
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2016 23:54:11 GMT
Hi,

>> But better conventions on the format and content of the files that would
>> make automated processing easier would also be a great thing, but that
>> might be too late already.
>
> Right, the hardest part of this problem is the spec, which SPDX provides.

SPDX looks good - how there been any interest to implement this at Apache?

BTW I see their NOTICE file has a few issues :-) [1] (It mentions Apache, MIT and BSD software).
What we put in NOTICE is policy right rather than a legal requirement so I guess 3rd parties
can do just about anything and that’s OK?

A fair number of non ASF Apache software is usually missing a NOTICE file or has other issues.
What do we do when you bundle a non ASF Apache license software that is missing a NOTICE file?
Nothing or be a little more polite or assume a minimal NOTICE file and add that to ours?

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/spdx/tools/blob/master/NOTICE