incubator-general mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: File headers for third party utility code
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2016 18:35:43 GMT
On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 2:39 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com>
wrote:

> One thing to try here is contribute all changes back to the original
> author(s), at least as patch submissions, so giving them the option to
> incorporate it.

Sure, I agree that makes sense in the case that you're borrowing someone
else's code and using it in the same way that they do. In our case, we're
not fixing bugs or improving, but rather adapting the code to a new context
in ways that don't make sense to the original one.

Most of the thirdparty software that we bundle, we pull in the original
sources and apply a few local patches[1]. In those cases we've submitted
the patches upstream and typically drop the patch when we upgrade to the
next version of the dependency.

-Todd
[1] https://github.com/cloudera/kudu/tree/master/thirdparty/patches