incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Dataflow Incubator Proposal
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2016 17:12:12 GMT
On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 8:32 AM, James Malone
<jamesmalone@google.com.invalid> wrote:

> == Abstract ==
>
> Dataflow is an open source, unified model and set of language-specific SDKs
> for defining and executing data processing workflows, and also data
> ingestion and integration flows, supporting Enterprise Integration Patterns
> (EIPs) and Domain Specific Languages (DSLs). Dataflow pipelines simplify
> the mechanics of large-scale batch and streaming data processing and can
> run on a number of runtimes like Apache Flink, Apache Spark, and Google
> Cloud Dataflow (a cloud service). Dataflow also brings DSL in different
> languages, allowing users to easily implement their data integration
> processes.

In general this seems like an excellent project and a well-thought-through and
viable proposal -- I certainly anticipate that it will be accepted for
incubation in one form or another.

However, how does this "Dataflow" project relate to the programming paradigm
of "dataflow programming"?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dataflow_programming

Besides the potential for confusion, it seems like the proposed project name
would be tough to defend as a trademark.

> With respect to trademark rights, Google does not hold a trademark on the
> phrase “Dataflow.” Based on feedback and guidance we receive during the
> incubation process, we are open to renaming the project if necessary for
> trademark or other concerns.

If a renaming is going to happen, there are advantages to renaming sooner
rather than later and sparing the community additional disruption.

Marvin Humphrey