incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: PodlingIP Clearance for Additional Code Donations
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2016 04:43:42 GMT
On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 8:30 PM, Niall Pemberton
<niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> The process for accept a podling and the initial code base is pretty clear,
> since it undergoes an IPMC vote.
>
> But what happens when there are additional chunks of code donated during
> incubation? Is that OK under the original IPMC vote and the grant just
> needs recording with the secretary or should the podling follow the PMC ip
> clearance process[1].
>
> Seems strange to just see an email to the secretary and announcement that
> the code is in the repository.

I think you're confusing two things here (which is easy mistake to make since
these two are conflated during the podling entering incubation). The two things
being:
   1. code being donated by a company to a podling
   2. code being *incorporated* into a project

#1 is an act that a company is performing it needs no permission from anybody
to decide that *it* wants to donate code to project $FOO. Just like you, Mr.
Individual contributor, need no permission from anybody to attach a patch to
a JIRA. The only requirement here is for anybody who's [non trivial] amounts
of code is to have the rights to do so and communicate intent clearly (that's
why we have ICLAs for individual committers and SGAs for corporations).

#2 is an act of a community. The community, as a whole, takes a look at the
code that has been offered and collectively decides what to do with it.

#1 and #2 are completely independent. In fact, as part of #2 the community
evaluated the code not only based on its technical merits, but also based on
the IP hygiene, etc.

IPMC is NOT involved in neither of those. Mentors are involved in helping
community make the right choice about #2.

Thanks,
Roman.