incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: File headers for third party utility code
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2016 23:48:15 GMT
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 1/4/16, 3:02 PM, "shaposhnik@gmail.com on behalf of Roman Shaposhnik"
> <shaposhnik@gmail.com on behalf of roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>>
>>> 2) In the cases that we've made non-trivial changes to the source, we
>>> should additionally add the ASF copyright notice at the top of the file,
>>> and amend the original copyright statement with the words "Some
>>>portions"
>>> as we've done for example in cache.cc[7].
>>
>>I don't think you need to do that, but you do need an ASF license header.
>>
>>I don't think ASF encourages "Portions Copyright ... ASF" statements
>>on individual files.
>>
>>> 3) In all files (regardless of whether we've made changes), we should
>>>add
>>> the Apache license header above any existing license headers, while
>>> maintaining the existing one.
>>
>>Correct and it should also solve #2
>
> Doesn't #3 from http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party
> contradict this?

Hm. This is tricky, now that I re-read the language of the ASF license
header I'm not sure anymore. I *think* the language there should allow
you to slap said header on a compatible license code.

Besides, the alternative is much messier: every time somebody touches
that file he/she needs to decide whether it is time for an ASF header
or not.

I *think* (but I'd love for old-timers to chime in and correct me) that #3-5
were written from though-shall-not-fork-communities perspective.

WDOT?

Thanks,
Roman.