incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: OK to distribute some GPL licensed build tools?
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2016 00:40:36 GMT
On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Changing subject so not to pollute the Singa VOTE thread.
>
> So it seem the GPL with this special exception are OK to distribute. [3][4]
>
> Looks like our documentation may need to be updated/clarified in a couple of places.
>
> For instance:
> - The "GNU Free For All” license is not listed as a Category A license [1]
> - Special exceptions to the GPL are not allowed [2]. Except for this special exception
that is!
> - When distributing GPL software with this exception do we need to mention so in LICENSE?
Do we also need to distribute GPL text in COPYING as indicated in the header text?
> - Should the text under the built tools question mention GPL with this special exception
as OK? [3]

This is very serendipitous, since I was about to send a very similar question
asking whether it would be kosher for HAWQ to ship the following folder:
    https://github.com/apache/incubator-hawq/tree/master/config

To make this story even more interesting: this folder has bee lifter pretty
much verbatim from PostgreSQL release tarball. I guess it means that
PostgreSQL community feels it is kosher to have it in an otherwise
PostgreSQL licensed release.

Thanks,
Roman.