incubator-general mailing list archives

From Tony Faustini <t...@litbit.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Tempo - A proposal for an enterprise IoT platform
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2016 17:23:36 GMT
Greg, think of this as a continuum some IoT use cases are simple ( a few sensors) others might
be at an industrial scale (data centers with 100,000s of sensors). In between there are many
other use cases. The data store needed at different points of the continuum will be different.
iota is meant to provide a framework for this continuum enabling simple data stores and complex
ones depending on the particular use case. The data store is not an integral part of iota,
it simply enables the data store needs at different points of the continuum. The same would
apply to things like Hadoop, Storm, or Flink. If you are at the data center end of the continuum
then iota should make it easy for you to use big data infrastructure. iota can facilitate
this but it’s not needed if you have a simple use case. For example if you want to download
iota and use it in a home project then that should be a simple download and install process.
If you are an global company like ABB or Schneider then you might want to build your own industrial
scale IoT solution and iota could be at it’s core.

-Tony

> On Jan 15, 2016, at 12:18 AM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Seriously? IoT can simply mean a temperature sensor in your house. No need
> for a database, let alone something like Hadoop. ... that's just
> over-engineering.
>
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 7:51 PM, Gregory Chase <gchase@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
>> I'd recommend a PostgreSQL adaptor, which opens a huge new world.
>>
>> Of course, if you are Apache and you are IOT, then Hadoop and Spark, and
>> all the streaming analytics technologies are key too.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Tony Faustini <tony@litbit.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Gregory we look forward to seeing you around. We currently use
>>> MySQL and MongoDB but the data pipeline is written in in a way that any
>>> datastore could be used.
>>> Thanks
>>> -Tony

>>> community