incubator-general mailing list archives

From Thorsten Schöning <tschoen...@am-soft.de>
Subject Re: Help for the Log4cxx podling
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2016 09:01:29 GMT
Guten Tag Marvin Humphrey,
am Donnerstag, 7. Januar 2016 um 04:59 schrieben Sie:

> The community has one active developer as far as I can tell, and at least he
> is responding to user inquiries when they come in.  But one developer does not
> make an Apache community.

Looking at the SVN history, Curt Arnold seemed to be the only active
developer in the project for years.

> The project has had a long and successful run, but I think the time has come
> for Log4CXX to consider retiring and heading to the Attic.

Attic seems to be the "no one cares anymore" place for Apache
projects, but that's not the case if log4cxx still receives at least
some feedback by users. But of course you are absolutely right about
the incubation process: It doesn't look like there's other members
still around, one doesn't know if this ever changes again and I do
know that officially releasing software just to correspond to some
Apache process has a very low priority on my todo list, because of
the reasons already mentioned in your former quote.

The most important thing for me is that there's someone "out there"
providing at least some level of support AND is able to commit, in my
opinion folks can handle things like missing releases. If this is not
enough for the Apache way and/or incubation process, then feel free to
move log4cxx into Attic.

But in that case I would like to ask if we can create a GitHub repo
for the project so people like me are able to fork it and easier
merge patches of other users who may still be around. There's already
one, but that lacks the incubating history. We can make clear in the
README that it's unsupported and dead and whatever you like, just
don't please lock the current(!) history of the project away behind a
door.

https://github.com/apache/log4cxx

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning