incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release apache-singa-incubating-0.2.0
Date Sun, 10 Jan 2016 12:14:38 GMT
Hi,

Sorry it’s -1 binding due to the inclusion of GPL licenced files [1] and other license issues
[2] and unable to compile from source. Happy to reconsider if explained.

I checked:
- release contains incubating
- signatures and hashes good
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE has some minor issues
- NOTICE contains too much information
- No binaries in source
- All source files have apache header
- Unable to compile from source

GPL licensed files includes:
./config/ltmain.sh
./config/ltversion.m4
./config/lt~obsolete.m4
./config/config.guess
./config/config.sub
./config/install-sh (?)
./Makefile.in (?) this also has a ASF header which seems odd

While this seems to be a build tool [7] I’m not 100% sure if all files here are OK.

For LICENSE:
- path to tinydir.h is incorrect
- missing licence for ./include/singa/utils/cuda_utils.h
- include/utils/common.h path is incorrect and the file most likely has an incorrect ASF header
- missing license for (BSD licensed) ./tool/cpplint.py. Possibly tool/cppling.py should be
tool/cpplint.py?
- missing licence for (BSD license?) ./examples/rnnlm/create_data.cc
- copyright for tinydir is incorrect should be "Cong Xu, Baudouin Feildel”
- files in include/mshadow/* are missing Apache header so it’s unclear if they are Apache
licensed or where they are from. I think this is sort of OK [3]
- copyright "Copyright (c) 2014, 2015, The Regents of the University of California (Regents)”
may be incorrect, you may want to double check years

May be other issues as at this point i gave up.

Also LICENSE file is also missing some whitespace on the first line which you may want to
fix.

For NOTICE:
- No need to include BSD licence information [4]
- Too much info in NOTICE [5]
- No need to list non bundled software [6]

Would also be nice to have compile instructions. On OS X configure fails for me with:
configure: error: unable to find cblas_sgemm() function

Assuming you run configure &&  make to compile and OS X is supported but it’s not
100% clear.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x