incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Unomi 1.0.0-incubating (take 2)
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2016 05:40:04 GMT
Hi Justin,

thanks for the guidance. You are right, it's our role as mentors to
help, I missed the binaries in the src distribution (my bad), but the
NOTICE looked good to me (in regards of the dependencies usage in
assembly and Maven pom).

Thanks !
Regards
JB

On 01/27/2016 05:52 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> HI,
>
>> For the NOTICE, as said on another thread, honestly, it's very difficult to know
what to include or not.

> Just follow the how to [1] and get a couple of people to review. Your mentors should
be able to help as well. What matters is what is bundled and how those bundled bits are licensed.
Following that document should be able to get it reasonably close as it covers most common
cases.

> For binaries the best way I’ve found to work out what is needed is to look at each
jar and see what it contains. I use vi if it’s just a few jars or sometime extract the class
names and sort like so:
> find . -name “*.jar” -exec jar tf {} \; | sort -u
>
> Usually the class paths are good enough to work out what needs to go in LICENSE/NOTICE.
i.e. take the class path look up the software licence and work out what needs to be done.

> Note if you make multiple jars you might want to check the LICENSE and NOTICE in each
jar as well as they may need to be different depend on the jar’s contents.

> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> 1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#assembling-license-and-notice

Jean-Baptiste Onofré