incubator-general mailing list archives

From Tony Faustini <t...@litbit.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Tempo - A proposal for an enterprise IoT platform
Date Sat, 16 Jan 2016 02:46:15 GMT
Greg, a number of examples have been used - including a data center - but there is no intention of focusing iota on data centers. As I mentioned below IoT is a continuum that encompasses many use cases. iota is all about endpoints/sensors/etc. capturing endpoints moving them (securely if needed) through a data pipeline so that actions can be performed such a turning on a GE light bulb in your home to turning a damper in an industrial application. One of the goals of iota is to enable you to access translators to take all those non- TCP/IP connections and allow them to interact with other endpoints, that’s one of the functions of iota. In fact a pluggable framework is available that will enable all kinds of non-IP based systems to become first class citizens in the IoT world. In fact as part of iota we will be giving ASF Modbus and BACnet translators as well as a roadmap for many other non-IP protocols. iota also works with the Intel Edison board. We are looking forward to the community writing translators for raspberry pi, Arduino and other popular controllers. Nice questions!  On a hardware note we also designed and build our own Micro-controller that enabled many non-ip protocols to be brought into an IP world and are considering making that open source too.

-Tony