incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <justinmcl...@me.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] HAWQ 2.0.0-beta-incubating RC4
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2016 04:06:49 GMT
Hi,

-1 binding until license and crypto issues are cleared up.

I notice the NOTICE mentions "Classpath Exception to the GPL” this is Category X and can’t
be included in an release. See http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x

This release also looks to contain crypto software - has this been followed? [4]

I checked:
- file contain incubating
- signatures and hashes good
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE and  NOTICE have (lots) issues
- source files have headers
- no unexpected binary files
- unable to compile from source (but probably my set up - complains about json-c)

License and notice issues:
- LICENSE is missing many BSD, MIT and similar pieces of licensed software. [1] For example
libpg, PuTTY, pgcrypto, pexpect, gtest + lot of others
- NOTICE should not include MIT, BSD or normally Apache licenses. [1][2]
- NOTICE also should not include anything that is not bundled in the actual source release.[3]
(e.g. junit)
- Some files listed in NOTICE don’t exist e.g. src/google/protobuf/stubs/atomicops_internals_aix.h.
This makes it hard to review.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps