incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Post mortem request for the handling of the Corinthia podling (was Re: FYI, I have subscribed to this list and to your private list)
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2016 19:22:54 GMT
I have declined to participate in any post-mortem activity.

There are some relevant matters to clarify in the bringing of this thread to general@ incubator.a.o,
however.

Comments in-line.

[ ... ]
> It appears that Qt is no longer under LGPL and now just GPL? [1]  That
> could limit the number of commercial users which is one reason why the
> ASF
> has the CategoryX restriction.
[orcmid]

Not exactly.  What has been removed is LGPL 2.1.  LGPL3 remains an option, along with GPL2,
GPL3, and a separate commercial license.

[ ... ]
> I don't know how Qt is packaged, but AIUI, the CategoryX restriction
> does
> not apply to build tools and runtimes.  But whether you package it or
> download it, if using it places restrictions on your customers than
> that's
> a problem.

[orcmid]

There was a contortion of the optional dependency case for ASF releases.  The proposed workaround
was to make optional *substitutability* for the Qt dependency.  But no substitute with equivalent
functionality was proposed or on offer.

A concern posted on the dev@ list gave cautionary warning the project might hit a wall with
regard to this reversal of how optional dependency becomes acceptable, i.e. <http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional>.

Inability to use Qt as the core framework for portable GUI clients became a technical deal-breaker
for the podling, as Peter Kelly has already reported.

[ ... ]