incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Impala commit policy
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2015 11:52:46 GMT

On 2 Dec 2015, at 10:01, Tom White <tomwhite@apache.org<mailto:tomwhite@apache.org>>
wrote:

The vote to accept Impala into the incubator has passed
(http://s.apache.org/u6r), however there are still some concerns about
CTR/RTC. My main takeaways from the CTR/RTC thread are that it's not a
binary choice, and that it's entirely reasonable that different
communities have different commit policies at the ASF.

I think Julian Hyde's suggestion that the Impala podling start with no
explicit commit policy is a good one. Incubation should be used as a
time to work out what works best for a project. The initial Impala
community should discuss the commit policy as they go through the
process of setting up ASF infra and start growing the podling. In
particular this will include how Gerrit can be used as a tool to
facilitate reviews, and how that fits with ASF culture, which is
something that other projects are looking at too.

+1

what we might want to think about —for future proposals— is what makes a good recommended
process during incubation, to help build that community, for dev & commit

that is: what is best to not only ship something usable, but to pull in outside contributors.
This is more than commit policy, it's how to organise discussions, what automated patch checking
mechanisms to set up, etc, etc.

That means more than just cargo-cult duplication of existing projects, but allowing incubating
projects to innovate in this area, and perhaps having some more rigorous review; successors
to [Rigby08] (*)

-Steve

[Rigby08], Open Source Software Peer Review Practices: A Case Study of the Apache Server,
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.226.2868&rep=rep1&type=pdf,

related work, https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=related:Rf0V3sIgPL6vvM:scholar.google.com/