incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [PORPOSAL] Fineract
Date Sat, 05 Dec 2015 17:41:46 GMT
Nobody is turned away. Mentors don't do the work. Contributors do. Mentors do not make decisions.
Contributors so. Mentors have " binding votes" but that is just because of the structure we
have in the ASF, a good mentor will only ever use that vote to enact the wishes of the community.
This is the opposite of "counter cultural". Contributors are what matter not mentors.

See recent discussions in the topic of mentors and how many people. Some people, myself included,
feel the role of mentor had changed over the years. In this project we want it to go back
to what it was and should be. Advisors only. We don't want anyone in the pushing to feel mentors
have authority. We want excellent community candidates to demonstrate how merit it's earned
around here. That can include by giving advise from experience within the ASF, but it will
be the podling who decide who is contributing constructively and therefore vote then in as
committers.

Note this is nothing to do with any individual. I'll pick on Jim as we know one another (and
in fact Jim is a supporter of the one mentor model). Jim has an untold amount of expertise
to offer this project. I imagine, if he had the time to offer, he'll become a committer quickly.
The same will be true for anyone else who contributes.

Ross

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
From: Tim Williams<mailto:williamstw@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎12/‎5/‎2015 5:08 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org<mailto:general@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [PORPOSAL] Fineract

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Ross Gardler
<Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I'm replying top of thread as this is a general reply regarding mentors.
>
> We just added Greg Stein as a third mentor. He wasn't on the originally submitted proposal
as he was just checking on availability before confirming.

> Based on recent conversations in the IPMC I (as champion) advised the project stick to
a single mentor who was willing to put his/her head on the block. This individual would take
full responsibility for rapid turnaround on all items needing mentor feedback. However, the
team had already discussed the proposal with a number of other people. As a result they feel
that 3 mentors is appropriate, respecting both IPMC traditions and those already advising
the community. Hence we have three mentors. We are not seeking more.

This isn't about "seeking more" - literally a perfectly qualified
[potential] mentor fell in your lap.  Do what you want, this just
feels incredibly counter-cultural to me - that is, to actively turn
away an eminently qualified volunteer.  I think it's both unwise in
this specific instance and a poor example to hint that its
acceptable/desirable in general.

Anyway, best wishes to Fineract...

Thanks,
--tim

** Just to be clear, I'm well aware that the other three mentors are
rock solid as well:)