incubator-general mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Accept Impala into the Apache Incubator
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2015 06:20:14 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
>> RTC versus CTR is clearly a religious debate. There are a large number of
>> >  successful and vibrant Apache communities using each paradigm. I don't
>> >

> "Apache communities" is (IMO) a very important point here. I believe that
> Apache communities understand the nuances of peer respect, consensus, and
> trust.*That*  community could weigh the variables and decide which workflow
> works best for their community. By definition, podling arrivals are not
> accorded the same self-reliance, and the proposal even states, "fewer have
> much experience with ASF-based software projects as contributors and
> community members"
>
> Thus, my else-thread suggestion of waiting for an "Apache community" to
> form, and then making the decision to move from CTR to RTC.

Joining in (albeit much later than I should have chimed in), I was/am a
little concerned to see the -1's cast in the first place. It seemed very
out of character to have concerns about how a community desired to
govern itself prohibiting entry to incubation.

However, given Greg's, Bertrand's and Roman's comments since, I do feel
much better. It seems appropriate to me that the mentors take these
concerns seriously and provide feedback to the IPMC that the podling
isn't misusing RTC. Wanting a community to operate in a specific way
feels like a slippery slope to me (as it's been hashed out that people
have differing and strong opinions on both sides), but I like the idea
of ensuring that RTC is being applied in a way which we're happy with at
the ASF.