incubator-general mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concerning Sentry: A disagreement over the Apache Way and graduation
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2015 18:05:43 GMT

> On Nov 4, 2015, at 11:32 AM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb@zonker.net> wrote:
>
> * I would invite folks with access to go to Sentry's private list and
> look over discussions about adding new contributors, and discussions
> about the project in general.

I took a look.

From a community growth perspective, I see them adding new committers, which is a good thing.
What I don’t see is any discussion at all about adding PPMC members, nor any discussion
about why they chose to go the Committer != PPMC route.

In a thread related to the first new committer being added [1], it is pointed out that the
podling website stated that Sentry was Committer == PMC, but that the new member vote was
only for Committer. At that point it looks like the website was updated to reflect Committer
!= PMC. From that point on, all new member votes were for Committer only, and there were no
discussions regarding adding new PMC members or promoting committers to the PMC role.

What I find slightly disconcerting is that there doesn’t seem to be any consideration or
discussion around growing the PPMC and why that’s important. Sure they have 20-odd PPMC
members from the initial committers list, so it would take a pretty large exodus to render
the project unable to function, but I don’t see anything to indicate that they understand
the function and importance of growing the PPMC.

If I’ve misinterpreted anything, please feel free to correct me.

-Taylor

[1] https://mail-search.apache.org/members/private-arch/sentry-private/201402.mbox/%3cCAHUddLNXceMb0xnk=1GEb6tVmCshYQMFe=zCpPLgFCwGg+fokQ@mail.gmail.com%3e