incubator-general mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Spark-Kernel Incubator Proposal
Date Sat, 14 Nov 2015 02:43:31 GMT

> On Nov 13, 2015, at 5:19 PM, Matei Zaharia <matei.zaharia@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In terms of whether to put this in Apache Spark proper, we can have a discussion about
it later, but my feeling is that it's not necessary. One reason is that this only uses public
APIs, and another is that there are also other notebook interfaces over Spark (e.g. Zeppelin).

That seems to echo the sentiment in the JIRA that Alex pointed out, and from a birds eye view
looks like it was the impetus for the contributors to take the incubator route.

Would that sentiment change if spark-kernel relied on private APIs, or did so in the future?

The fact that at least Spark PMC member stepped up and offered to mentor the project seems
like an indicator that there's at least some support for collaboration from the Spark community.

I'm not it any way trying to affect the outcome of this proposal. I'm mostly thinking out
loud that there might be a missed collaboration opportunity here.

> Matei

-Taylor