incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Wave - download page links to nightly builds etc
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2015 01:02:17 GMT
On 3 November 2015 at 15:38, Ali Lown <ali@lown.me.uk> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
> Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
>
> I have updated the downloads page removing the link to the RC, and
> clarifying the differences of the available download options: 1) no
> official releases, get RC from mailing list, 2) or risk the automated
> build
>
> Is this what you had in mind? Let me know if you think it still needs changing.

Thanks, that's much better.

However the downloads page is aimed at the general public, and nightly
builds should not be advertised there, see:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what - second paragraph

So I think any mention of such builds needs to be placed elsewhere.

For example, it might be useful to add a section to the "Getting involved" page.

This could discuss providing feedback on release candidates etc, and
point to a separate page describing how to get nightly builds (and the
caveats of using them).
[That page should not be linked from the main menus]

I think that would clearly signal that these builds are not for the
general public.

BTW that page has a typo: "Requriements Discussion"