incubator-general mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Concerning Sentry: A disagreement over the Apache Way and graduation
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2015 15:52:51 GMT
On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 12:47 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
> > ...what would the action item the community should take away from
> > this? As their mentor I'm not sure what advice i can give them. "add more
> > ppmc members"? Sounds like that's in the pipeline. Seems artificial to
> me....
>
> If it's in the pipeline that's fine, what's important IMO is that the
> podling demonstrates that it can grow/renew its (p)PMC, during
> incubation.

This highlights my concern though. It's why this thread was started in the
first place IMO - the fact that the incubator graduation requirements are a
moving target. It's one of the more frustrating aspects of being a mentor.

A few years ago being in the incubator was strict, but much more
straightforward. Bootstrap, build your community, address the IP issues,
show you understand the Apache way and you are on your way - "best wishes".
Now we seem to think everyone is out to do the wrong thing, rather than
everyone having positive motives and are trying their best.

If you read the graduation requirements it says nothing about adding PPMC
as a strict requirement to graduation:
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Graduating+from+the+Incubator

Bertrand - you had stated a strong "-1" previously. Are you now saying that
you would be +1?

Based on my reading Sentry has more than met the minimum requirements and I
recommend we allow graduation.

Patrick