incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concerning Sentry: A disagreement over the Apache Way and graduation
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2015 23:09:29 GMT
On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 6:50 AM, Branko ─îibej <brane@apache.org> wrote:

> That kind of argument is totally out of line. The IPMC may decide to use
> the model as a metric for podling compliance and so integrate it into
> the Incubator policy[1]. Unless and until that happens, any attempt to
> measure podlings against that bit of paper (other than for purely
> recreational purposes) is rude at best.

Or it is a good test of whether it brings up important issues and seems to
accord well with the more intuitionist approaches.

Setting it as a standard without testing it against real cases would be
irresponsible. Giving it test drives against real cases is exactly the way
to find out whether it is useful.  Right now the biggest gripe that I hear
about the incubator from incoming projects is that they need SOME path to
be better documented.  They get that there are many paths ... but air
philosophical description don't work for them.

So far, that maturity test is doing a great job, but I don't want to
enshrine it without more run time.  Using it serious is a great way to get
that run time.

This is neither rules for rules sake (we are being very cautious about
proposing it as a requirement) nor it is adding requirements (the
requirements were pretty much already there in many ways and in different
people's heads).