incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concerning Sentry: A disagreement over the Apache Way and graduation
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2015 15:24:12 GMT
On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> On 11/05/2015 12:02 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>> Committership is the right to do work on the project. PMC membership is the
>> right to participate in governance.  People left in the nebulous state
>> between
>> committership and PMC membership for long periods of time more than likely
>> will give up in frustration for not being trusted enough to govern their
>> own work.
>
> Most of the older projects at the Foundation do not have PMC ==
> Committer. Notably, httpd. The notion that committers are automatically
> PMC is a fairly new innovation. As it happens, it's an innovation that I
> wholeheartedly support and recommend, but it's a minority of projects
> that have this policy. If you follow board reports, you'll notice that
> PMC additions and Committer additions are seldom coincident.

As a (PMC) Member I've always taken (one of) Roy's mantra to heart:
those that do the work should steer the project. At Wicket we have
committer == PMC, and I'd posit we are now among the 'Older' projects
(given our 8 years here). Wicket just counts as one project so this
doesn't invalidate your point, but adds a datapoint.

Martijn