incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david.a.jen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concerning Sentry: A disagreement over the Apache Way and graduation
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 18:06:15 GMT

> On Nov 2, 2015, at 11:29 AM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>

> On 11/02/2015 09:50 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>> I haven’t looked at what they are doing and don’t expect I will.  However, I’m
assuming that jira changes all get to the dev list, as in all other projects I’ve worked
on.  I don’t see the point in duplicating a proposal between a jira issue and a separate
dev list post with the same information.  And I don’t have a problem with people working
quickly.  I would like to see that the jira issue explains sufficiently what is proposed or
implemented in enough detail that an interested party can see how it fits in with the code
and the purpose of the project.  So I’d be concerned if the jira descriptions were “fix
bug” or “implement javaee7” but possibly not if there are reasonable explanations of
what is being proposed or done.

> What has been described to me is that a ticket is filed proposing a major new feature,
and then seconds later a *large* patch lands implementing that feature, and the ticket is
closed, and discussion is shut down, because it's a done deal.

Well, for me closing an issue by no means discussion is shut down…. I’m happy to complain
years later.  However irrespective of the level of detail in a jira, I’d expect it to be
filed when the idea behind it is hatched, not when development on it is complete.  The behavior
you describe seems completely inappropriate to me, and I’m fairly shocked a mentor would
support it.

thanks for the clarification.

david jencks