incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Trafodion (incubating) 1.3.0-incubating (RC4)
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2015 03:42:13 GMT
Hi,

> As for #4 - the pictures were taken by someone in our organization.  I will
> tell him that they look professional -:) They are not licensed or anything, just personal
photos.

If they are fine with them being distributed then that's all good IMO. You may want to add
something in LICENSE.

> Since you seem to knowledgeable on License issues.  You mentioned that #11
> references Open Software Foundation.  In my research this is managed by a
> GNU license.

The GPL is not a licence that’s comparable with Apache software [1] so if they are GPL licensed
then yes they would be to be removed / replaced with something else.

Files in question:
./core/sql/common/from_GB2312.c
./core/sql/common/multi-byte.h
./win-odbc64/sql/common/from_GB2312.c
./win-odbc64/sql/common/multi-byte.h

(may be others)

Looking at the file it mentions “OSF/1”. It's been a couple years since I used DEC Alpha’s
:-)  It’s not clear to me how those files are licensed they may or may not be GPL.  But
they shouldn’t have an Apache header if they are not Apache licensed.

I also noticed this file:
/core/sql/common/swsprintf.cpp

Which is "Copyright (c) 1990 The Regents of the University of California.” and looks to
be BSD licensed. Again it shouldn't have an Apache license header and would this would also
need to be added to LICENSE.

Do you know the provenance of all the files in /core/sql/common?

Sorry but it look like the rabbit hole gets a bit deeper. When I was doing some checks I may
of missed some things. Searching a bit further I can see code that is:
Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Eric Young (eay@cryptsoft.com)
Copyright (c) 1998, 1999 Thai Open Source Software Centre Ltd
Copyright (c) 1997-1999 Compaq Computer Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.
Copyright (c) 1997-2007, Damian Conway C<< <DCONWAY@CPAN.org> >>
Copyright Transaction Processing Performance Council

And from a few spot checks an Apache headers has been incorrectly added to some of these files.

This file for instance:
./core/sqf/export/lib/Parse/RecDescent.pm

Is probably under the perl artistic license which may cause further complications. [2]

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-86