incubator-general mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Concerning Sentry: A disagreement over the Apache Way and graduation
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2015 21:50:36 GMT
On 10.11.2015 16:00, Pierre Smits wrote:
> That is nice! Apache pages drawn up by a member of the Apache Software
> Foundation with the input from many  (both ASF members and others) and
> hosted/communicated through ASF means, and then saying that those 'are not
> Foundation'. And that by/through the fingers of a fellow board member....
>
> That doesn't help mitigating the confusion building.

The document is not a Foundation standard. ComDev is no closer to being
"the ASF" than, say, Bloodhound PMC.

Whilst I do find this attempt at a maturity model an interesting
experiment, I'm really, really uncomfortable with people pushing it as
some sort of golden standard for podlings (and, worse, TLPs). It's a
completely informal paper, yet I've already seen people cast doubts on
podling graduation with the excuse that some criterion of the model
wasn't met.

That kind of argument is totally out of line. The IPMC may decide to use
the model as a metric for podling compliance and so integrate it into
the Incubator policy[1]. Unless and until that happens, any attempt to
measure podlings against that bit of paper (other than for purely
recreational purposes) is rude at best.

-- Brane

[1] And even then it'd be open to scrutiny; paperwork for its own sake
is always suspect.