incubator-general mailing list archives

From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: Concerning Sentry: A disagreement over the Apache Way and graduation
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 21:27:28 GMT
On 11/02/2015 03:57 PM, Patrick Hunt wrote:
> I see this (the release discussion threads you linked) as a semi-mature
> community that's well aligned. A number of folks responded to the request
> for discussion and said they were in favor. It was done on the ML in the
> open. What more do we want? I don't see anyone excluded and I'm sure if
> there was a new person looking to get involved they would have been
> welcomed into the discussion, no one is being turned away from what I can
> see.

No one is being turned away, that I've noticed, but I really don't see
how anyone is supposed to follow along if they're not part of the team
already. I will say that the only Jira I've seen from outside recently
didn't exactly get a warm reception. [1] Not rejected, just radio silence.

I'm also sad to see that being held up as a standard by other mentors.
My understanding is that projects should be attempting to create a
community that is open, and trying to self-perpetuate. Sure, you can't
do that if you turn people away actively - but you also can't do that by
having conversations offlist and having an opaque process that newcomers
can't follow along with.

I'll say again - maybe my standards are improperly calibrated. If so,
and "not actively turning people away" is the standard we're going
for... that's disappointing as all heck.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-934
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net