incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Spark-Kernel Incubator Proposal
Date Sat, 14 Nov 2015 12:02:49 GMT

> On 13 Nov 2015, at 22:19, Matei Zaharia <matei.zaharia@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> One question about this from the Spark side: have you considered giving the project a
different name so that it doesn't sound like a Spark component? Right now "Spark Kernel" may
be confused with "Spark Core" and things like that. I don't see a lot of Apache TLPs with
related names, though maybe there's nothing wrong with that.

ASF projects are allowed to, it just creates confusion about where support calls go.

Certainly, if it is outside the ASF, then its an infringement of the ASF trademarks on Apache(tm)
Spark(r). So from a trademark perspective alone, submitting to the ASF incubator may avoid
having to rename the project. Given how java source usually ends up including product names
in the packaging hierarchy, this can only be welcomed by the team

> In terms of whether to put this in Apache Spark proper, we can have a discussion about
it later, but my feeling is that it's not necessary. One reason is that this only uses public
APIs, and another is that there are also other notebook interfaces over Spark (e.g. Zeppelin).

> Matei

+1 for keeping it separate, because it can have its own release schedule, and it is designed
to be loosely coupled through those APIs,

Regarding the proposal, I do think the Kernel is architecturally interesting, especially the
ability to register new event handlers running in-cluster.

However, it's requirement to be 100% compatible with Jupyter means that is must use zeroMQ
as a transport, —and zeromq.jar is LPGL.

And the ASF, for better or worse, has a policy of: no mandatory dependencies on LGPL artifacts

 http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

with the most recent discussion on the topic being : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-192

I see that 0MQ are talking about adopting the MPL license: http://zeromq.org/area:licensing
; I think getting zeromq.jar licensed as MPL is going to have be a checklist item on being
able to release ASF approved artifacts, hence getting out of incubation.

If the project does get into incubation, one option that the spark team has is that of becoming
the sponsoring project, rather than the incubator PMC. This gives the PMC there the responsibility
for supervising the project, and should help foster a closer relationship between the groups

-Steve