incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] OpenMiracl for Incubation
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2015 02:34:14 GMT
On Wed, 2015-11-18 at 08:48 +0900, Brian Spector wrote:
> Hi Alex, thank you for the suggestion, but from our point of view, as I
> outlined below, we would disadvantage the project as a whole by not having
> the MIRACL name in it.
>
> At the same time, I completely understand the concern that a company who
> creates a product based on OpenMiracl might feel themselves disadvantaged
> by having to state an attribution 'based on Apache OpenMiracl' while
> MIRACL, the company, sells a product called Datacenter Cryptosystem will
> also say 'based on Apache OpenMiracl'. We get that.

If folks are uneasy about OpenMiracl, how far does that extend?
Would (for example) a name taking the "Mira" stem be sufficiently
distinct for those expressing concerns here?  For example,
Mirabile (Latin pronunciation) kind-of offers an element of
historic continuity through the linguistic association with
the miracle.

--
Nick Kew