incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Concerning Sentry: A disagreement over the Apache Way and graduation
Date Sat, 07 Nov 2015 19:07:07 GMT

[ ... ]
> > Based on the information provided in this thread It looks to me like
> > Sentry isn't operating according to items CO20, CO40, CS20 and CS50 of
> > our maturity model [1].

[ ... ]
> Can we please stop calling someone's pet paperwork "our maturity model?"
> I'm fed up to the gills with the assumption that it has any relevance
> for anything or anyone in the foundation, including the Incubator and
> Podlings.
>
> -- Brane

[orcmid]

Huh?  The development of this document,

<http://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html>

was carried out on the dev community list over a significant period of time.  It even provides
an account for that development and where related materials can be found.  It is a work in
progress, as is the ASF itself.  As far as I can tell, being a tender-foot in these parts,
this is a distillation of a great deal of thinking and consideration based on serious consideration
by contributors with substantial experience.

I find the dismissing of that effort to be very peculiar as part of a discussion about The
Apache Way.

It is easy to find evidence that this is relevant to several someones in the foundation, including
in the Incubator and Podlings.  Apparently, some other someones have not been paying attention
or simply haven't taken it seriously.  That happens.

I do agree that a list of codes without any context is probably not a very gentle application
of it as part of an assessment of a podling's readiness to graduate.