incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>
Subject Incubation capacity
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2015 15:08:57 GMT
Hi,

It sounds like ruminations about the Incubator are on the increase again,
so I figured I'd wake up from my slumber and share an insight of mine.

I believe the way the Incubator is organized sets an upper bound on the
number of podlings it can effectively manage. Based on experience and
historical data (http://incubator.apache.org/history/ *) I believe this
limit is somewhere around 30 podlings.

Assuming my theory is correct, proposed changes to the Incubator structure
should be primarily evaluated on whether they increase bandwidth (number of
podlings we can manage), decrease latency (time to graduation or
termination) or tighten the entry criteria (implicit or explicit).

Proposals that tighten exit criteria or add extra constraints (voting,
reporting, etc.) during incubation may solve some immediate issues, but
will likely not help with the big picture unless they come with termination
clauses for podlings that fail to meet the constraints.

*) That graph was one of the key metrics I looked at during my time as the
Incubator VP.

BR,

Jukka Zitting