incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Short form IP clearance
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2015 22:16:20 GMT
On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 6:45 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>
>> First and foremost, I have not followed this thread almost at
>> all. I've been at ATO2015 and then traveling.
>>
>> What I will say, whether it has been said or not, that
>> as VP Legal, I will work w/ the Incubator on whatever issues
>> or questions they may have. If it's time for a conversation
>> between VP Legal and Incubator re: IP clearance, one that
>> has not happened for at least a decade, iirc, then I am
>> fine with that as well and am ready to do so.
>
> Please read the thread: it contains my part of that conversation that I
> think needs to happen.

I'll summarize my position as situations requiring special IP
Clearance procedures (i.e., not a simple patch or even a committer
making a huge change, but events such as bulk importing code that was
previously hosted publicly elsewhere) are infrequent enough events and
important enough risks that having a second set of eyes (from outside
of the receiving PMC) is in order.  I don't have a strong opinion as
to whether IP Clearance for podlings and PMCs should be managed
separately or together.  As long as it continues to be done via lazy
consensus, I also don't see burden.

> Thx,
> -g

- Sam Ruby