incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stephen Mallette <spmalle...@gmail.com>
Subject Advice on LICENSE/NOTICE for Shaded Dependencies
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2015 18:12:39 GMT
Hello all,

I feel like I'm on the verge of getting LICENSE/NOTICE right in all
respects in The TinkerPop.  . Seems like there's one piece that's out of
place and could use some advice as I wasn't able to map anything I'd read
in the Apache docs on this topic to my issue.  We currently shade several
libraries: Kryo, minlog, objenesis, and jackson, essentially re-packaging
those binary dependencies in a jar called gremlin-shaded.jar. The
gremlin-shaded.jar is then made part of our zip distributions.

As we didn't re-package the source code of these libs, I figured that the
source LICENSE/NOTICE didn't need to change and that it was just the binary
LICENSE/NOTICE that needed to change.  I assume this situation is somewhat
similar to a project that builds an uber jar for distribution.

So that's where i'm about stuck. I took a wild stab at it and did this:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-tinkerpop/blob/5a8b61c09868e22a415c0469a2737d68acce9a4e/gremlin-console/src/main/LICENSE#L226-L228

but I have no idea if that is sufficient (or just plain wrong).  If anyone
could offer some pointers on what needs to happen here to our binary
LICENSE/NOTICE, that would be nice.  I'd really like to see us get a clean
bill of health on the next LICENSE/NOTICE that goes through a release vote.

Thanks for your help,

Stephen